Online Pre-Registration is required. Registration closes on Sunday, May 15, 2022.
Participant and Crew Requirements:
- Each crew will have 6 members:
- One steers-person
- One stroker
- 1 able-bodied volunteer (open to the general public)
- 3 Awesome Athletes
- All Teams will be assigned 2 weeks prior to race day by May 29, 2022 and will be emailed. Please make sure we have your phone number and email address in your registration sign-up.
- Paddling volunteers may be part of multiple crews. If you are a paddling volunteer working with a specific Awesome Athlete, please indicate so in the special accommodations section. If you are an Awesome Athlete who would like a certain volunteer to paddle with you, please indicate so in the special accommodations section.
Thanks to funding from the Hawaii Tourism Authority, registration fees are waived for this event.
*All paddlers are invited to join ‘Ohana Wa’a Laulima at practice sessions prior to and after the event. It is $10/session or $40 for a year with unlimited paddling sessions. Please identify your interest in practice sessions when registering for this event, and we will contact you.
Practice Sessions with ‘Ohana Wa’a Laulima
‘Ohana Wa’a Laulima is offering practice sessions to any Awesome Athlete or volunteer interested in learning more about paddling and practicing before and after the event. It is highly recommended that all Awesome Athletes and first-time paddlers who are volunteering attend at least one practice session.
If not able attend practice sessions, pre-certification with water-safety official will be required. Can be done virtually or in-person.
Deadline for certification or attending practice session will be June 8, 2022.
We will try to accommodate every athlete interested in participating. Please notate any accommodations needed on the registration form. We do ask that All Athletes be able to sit up independently as no strapping will be allowed
Day Of Registration/Check-In
All Participants must check in to race at our registration table, which will be located at the OSMD Canoe Hale located on Hilo Bayfront, the last hale on the beach toward town.
Registration for steers-people & strokers: 7:30 AM - 8:00 AM.
Registration time for Awesome Athletes and will be between 8:00 AM & 8:45 AM.
All Participants will need to check in during this time. Steers-people and strokers will be available to meet between 8:15 AM - 8:45 AM. Teams will be assigned in advance, so all participants will know what crew they are assigned. It is highly recommended that all teams meet each other during this time.
Course: Hilo Bayfront, race starts from the bathrooms and end at judges stand.
Schedule of Day:
- 7:15 AM - 7:45 AM - Check-In for On-Shore and Rescue Team Volunteers
- 7:45 AM - 8:00 AM - Briefing for Volunteers
- 8:00 AM - 8:45 AM: Check-In for Awesome Athletes & Paddling Volunteers
- 8:45 AM - 9:00 AM: Meeting with Steers-people and Strokers
- 9:00 AM - 9:20 AM - Opening Ceremony
- 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM - Races (Divided into 3 heats, 4 races per heat)
- 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM - Closing Ceremony and Awards
Teams & Heats:
There will be 3 heats with 4 races per heat.
Teams will find out what heat and race they will be in during check-in.