Registration for Athletes, Volunteers and Vendors closes on Sunday, April 30, 2023
Participant and Crew Requirements:
- Each crew will have 6 members:
- One steers-person
- One stroker
- 1 able-bodied volunteer (open to the general public)
- 3 Awesome Athletes
- All Teams will be assigned 2 weeks prior to race day by May 29, 2022 and will be emailed. Please make sure we have your phone number and email address in your registration sign-up.
- In order to introduce Athletes to their teammates, we are asking all teams to coordinate a time to practice together at least once before race day. Volunteer staff will contact all Athletes once teams are assigned.
*All paddlers are invited to join ‘Ohana Wa’a Laulima at practice sessions prior to and after the event. It is $10/session or $40 for a year with unlimited paddling sessions. Please identify your interest in practice sessions when registering for this event, and we will contact you.
You may also visit https://www.owlclubhawaii.org/home to sign up for practices.
*It is highly encouraged, but not required, that every Athlete attend at least 2 practice sessions between March-May.
Practice Sessions with ‘Ohana Wa’a Laulima
‘Ohana Wa’a Laulima is offering practice sessions to any Awesome Athlete or volunteer interested in learning more about paddling and practicing before and after the event. It is highly recommended that all Awesome Athletes attend at least two practice sessions.
If not able attend practice sessions, pre-certification with water-safety official will be required. Can be done virtually or in-person.
Deadline for certification or attending practice session will be May 28, 2023.
We will try to accommodate every athlete interested in participating. Please notate any accommodations needed on the registration form. We do ask that All Athletes be able to sit up independently as no strapping will be allowed
You may also email Ian at email@example.com to discuss any accommodations or questions.
All information below will be subject to change. Please check back after May 21, 2023 for final details.
Day Of Registration/Check-In
All Participants must check in to race at our registration table, which will be located at the OSMD Canoe Hale located on Hilo Bayfront, the last hale on the beach toward town.
Registration for Volunteer Paddlers: 7:30 AM - 8:00 AM.
Registration time for Awesome Athletes and will be between 8:00 AM & 8:45 AM.
All Participants will need to check in during this time. Steers-people and strokers will be available to meet between 8:15 AM - 8:45 AM. Teams will be assigned in advance, so all participants will know what crew they are assigned. It is highly recommended that all teams meet each other during this time.
Course: Hilo Bayfront, race starts from the bathrooms and end at judges stand.
Schedule of Day:
- 7:15 AM - 7:45 AM - Check-In for On-Shore and Rescue Team Volunteers
- 7:45 AM - 8:00 AM - Briefing for Volunteers
- 8:00 AM - 8:45 AM: Check-In for Awesome Athletes & Paddling Volunteers
- 8:45 AM - 9:00 AM: Meeting with Steers-people and Strokers
- 9:00 AM - 9:20 AM - Opening Ceremony
- 9:30 AM - 2:00 PM - Races (Divided into 3 heats, 4 races per heat)
- 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM - Closing Ceremony and Awards
Teams & Heats:
There will be 3 heats with 4 races per heat.
Teams will find out what heat and race they will be in during check-in.
To Contact the Race Committee:
Robert Efford, Arc of Hilo firstname.lastname@example.org
Sammy Sampaga OSMDHawaii@gmail.com
Ian Kow, Full Life email@example.com